People are always saying to me, ‘Kevin, you are so black or white?’
Are you black or white or do you live in the maze of haze where there is little to no absolutes, and where right and wrong merge in some quandary quagmire?
How does God see the world?
“3 Then God said, ‘Let there be light’; and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.”
I know this can be viewed as an oversimplification of perspectives but let’s take a look at what God said in these verses.
- ‘Light be’ or ‘light come into being’
- This is interesting because this is the first day of creation and the sun was not yet created
- This light that ‘came into being’ came from the Being who is called Light
- ‘And light was’
- Light was always in the Person called Light
- Light is now manifesting from the spiritual realm into the material realm being created
- ‘God saw’
- God looked to inspect what He just did
- God had envisioned light before He brought it forth in the place where He was bringing it and now He was considering what it looked like in the place He placed it
- God observed light as it pertained to its relationship with darkness
- ‘The light was good’
- God saw light as pleasant, excellent, better than, appropriate, beneficial, right, well-pleasing
- ‘God separated’
- God divided, severed utterly, made a distinction, withdrew, excluded, set it apart from, differentiated
- ‘The light from the darkness’
- Light – illumination, bright, clear, to shine, face
- Darkness – Obscure, secret places, ignorance, death, dim, wicked, to hide, to conceal, to confuse
Did you happen to notice what God did not say? We can learn a lot about what God says by noticing what He does not say. And what He did not say is, “Darkness is good.”
‘God saw that the light was good’ but it does not say, “God saw that the darkness is good.”
I can literally hear people saying as they trigger all over the place, “Darkness is good. It is good if for no other reason it is good so we can get a good night’s sleep.”
For those who don’t tweet on Twitter or post on Facebook ‘LOL’ means to laugh out loud, real loud!
God is establishing a principle here in the Book of Beginnings [Genesis] that He reveals throughout Scripture as it pertains to ethical and moral behavior, as well as to who He considers His people, and those who He says are not His people.
“21 Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Stretch out your hand toward the sky, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, even a darkness which may be felt.’ 22 So Moses stretched out his hand toward the sky, and there was thick darkness in all the land of Egypt for three days. 23 They did not see one another, nor did anyone rise from his place for three days, but all the sons of Israel had light in their dwellings.”
“1 ‘Arise, shine; for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you. 2 For behold, darkness will cover the earth and deep darkness the peoples; But the Lord will rise upon you and His glory will appear upon you. 3 Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your rising.’“
“For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light.”
“THE PEOPLE WHO WERE SITTING IN DARKNESS SAW A GREAT LIGHT, AND THOSE WHO WERE SITTING IN THE LAND AND SHADOW OF DEATH, UPON THEM A LIGHT DAWNED.”
“22 The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!”
“4 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. 5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.”
“This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.”
“Let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.”
2 Corinthians 6:14
“Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?”
” 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them; 8 for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light 9 (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), 10 trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; 12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light.”
1 Thessalonians 5:5
“For you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness.”
1 John 1:5
“This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.”
The use of so many Scriptural texts may have over saturated your mind but the point I am making I wanted to make sure was clear!
Dear reader, I make no apologies for being so black or white. I see things that clearly and so I speak with such clarity into the conditions of men’s hearts because the condition of our world is the direct result of the condition of men’s heart.
“The heavens are the heavens of the LORD, But the earth He has given to the sons of men.”
God placed men on earth because His intention for certain men is they will inherit the earth.
“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.”
“8 The Lord God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed. 15 Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it.”
God created the earth to give man a place to practice stewardship of something he was given for free. God then gives man responsibility for what He gives him for free.
There are so many metaphors that I could elaborate on but I will constrain myself to just two.
- Our bodies are made from the earth, therefore we are put in charge of managing our physical being in such a way that it will manifest the glory of God in the earth.
- Our salvation that God gives us for free does not mean we can live irresponsibly. We must manage our lives in such a way that those who don’t know God will want to know Him because of the way they see us live our lives.
As I said I could continue but I can easily turn this blog into a book, or at least a booklet!
In closing I want to reiterate what I said in the beginning,
‘Are you black or white or do you live in the maze of haze where there is little to no absolutes, and where right and wrong merge in some quandary quagmire?’
How do you see the world?
How do you see you in the world?
What in the world are you doing mingling what God separated?
Dr. Kevin M. Drury, DMin